Your car or truck needs new wiper blades, so you go to your local auto parts store to buy them. There, you are presented with a variety of options that could fit your vehicle. How do you know which is the best kind? Some are low-profile whereas others have bulky frames. Are the low-profile ones more expensive because of their looks? Learning the different types of blades can help you make the right choice.
Traditional vs Beam Vs Hybrid Wiper Blades
There are three main types of windshield wiper blades: traditional, beam and hybrid. Each offers a different mix of performance and price.
- Traditional: As the name implies, this is the oldest of the three styles. It is also the most common, especially on older vehicles. It features a metal frame that supports a rubber squeegee blade. Traditional wiper blades offer good performance and are relatively cheap. However, they have uneven pressure and can cause some streaking.
- Beam: These wiper blades are a newer design. They have no frame. Instead, the squeegee is supported by a firm spine (the “beam”) along the back. This creates much more even pressure and better wiping performance. In terms of wiper efficacy, these are the best wiper blades, especially in winter climates. However, they are also the most expensive.
- Hybrid: If you want something that is a little more middle-of-the-road, then the hybrid design is perfect for you. It uses a spined squeegee that is on a metal frame. Therefore, it offers better performance than the traditional style but is cheaper than the beam style. For a lot of people, this is the best option when balancing cost and performance.
Tips for Buying New Windshield Wipers
If you are at the store thinking, “what windshield wipers do I need,” don’t worry too much. As long as they fit your vehicle, you can’t go too wrong. Some are better than others. However, they are relatively universal. These are some tips to help your shopping process:
- Check the Fit: The most important factor in buying a wiper is checking the fit. Consider using an online retailer such as AutoZone’s website to make sure it will fit your vehicle.
- Consider Getting Beam Wipers: It may be worthwhile getting beam wiper blades even though they are more expensive. They tend to last longer.
- Get a Blade With a Performance Spoiler: This is an additional blade along the back of the wiper. It directs wind around the wiper blade. It is a simple addition that can make a big difference.
- Do It Yourself: You may be surprised by how easy it is to change your windshield wipers. They may be the single easiest car parts to replace. Many are connected with a simple clip. So, buy your own windshield wipers and replace them yourself.
Get the Best Wiper Blades for Your Vehicle
Discover more about replacing your windshield wipers. This is an easy job that can be done relatively inexpensively. As long as you can find the right parts for your vehicle, you will likely be pleased with the outcome. Get started today and enjoy traveling while heavy rainfalls too.